After releasing a set of weather-resistant Exposure messenger bags earlier this month, MindShift Gear is back with a new product: the BackLight 18L backpack for photographers. This new model expands MindShift’s existing BackLight rear panel access backpack lineup, offering the same convenient access in a smaller overall size.
The 18L offers the same features as the larger 26L and 36L backpacks. The bag’s exterior is made with 420D velocity nylon and high-density nylon, 320G UltraStretch mesh, 350G air mesh, YKK RC-Fuse zippers, 3-ply bonded nylon thread, and a water-repellant coating. The interior includes a 210D nylon lining, high-density closed-cell foam, hexa-mesh pockets, PE board reinforcement, and the same 3-ply thread.
One of the BackLight lineup’s biggest features is the ability to remove/replace items without taking the daypack off. Instead, the wearer, after securing the waist belt, rotates the bag to the front and uses the rear panel to access the gear inside. The bag accommodates various gear configurations, such as a pair of gripped DSLRs with attached lenses and an additional 1 – 3 zoom lenses, or a pair of gripped mirrorless cameras with attached lenses and and 3 – 5 additional lenses.
Additionally, the BackLight 18L supports up to 13-inch laptops and a 10-inch tablet, plus there are front compartments with a total 5L capacity for personal items.
Additional features include a front/side mounting system for a tripod/monopod, a pair of large water bottle pockets, lash points, daisy chain, ice axe loops, interior mesh pockets, lumbar support and an air channel. Plus, the bag is compatible with MindShift’s existing Tripod Suspension Kit, Switch Case, Filter Nest, and Filter Hive.
MindShift Gear’s BackLight 18L Outdoor Photography Daypack Offers Added Comfort and Quick Rear-Panel Access
SANTA ROSA, CALIF – MindShift Gear announces the release of an 18-liter version of its popular BackLight series, the BackLight® 18L rear-panel backpack. This smaller version offers a lightweight daypack that enables photographers to access gear without taking off the backpack. They can change lenses or just snap a quick photo simply by rotating the bag to the front while the waist belt is still secured. Rear-panel access also adds security when traveling since camera gear is protected from behind.
This back-panel access allows photographers to work out of the bag without getting the harness dirty, wet, muddy, or icy. It features dedicated compartments that fit up to a 13” laptop and a full-size tablet. As a daypack, its front pockets total 5 liters in personal gear carry for a day’s outing, such as extra layers, a light jacket, food, and more. It is available in two colors, Charcoal and Woodland Green, and meets most international and U.S. airline carry-on requirements.
This new backpack holds a variety of camera kits:
- Two gripped DSLRs with lenses attached and one to three standard zoom lenses
- Two gripped Mirrorless bodies with lenses attached and three to five lenses
- Fits up to a 13” laptop and a 10” tablet
- Fits personal gear in the 5L front compartments
- Maximum lens size: 300mm f/2.8 or 150–600mm f/5–6.3 attached to a body
“The BackLight 18L was designed with comfort in mind,” said Doug Murdoch, MindShift’s CEO and Lead Designer. “The air channel on the rear panel was designed for maximum comfort. It features a large padded waistbelt to support heavy gear and a contoured backpanel for extra lumbar support.”
Additional Features and Benefits
- Daisy chain, ice axe loops and additional lash points for expanding carry capacity
- Includes tripod/monopod mounting system on front or side
- Comfortable padded waist belt for all day comfort on the trail with webbing rail for additional MindShift accessories
- Flap-keeper neck strap allows unencumbered access to gear
- Two large water bottle pockets with cinch cord fit a 32oz Nalgene
- Side compression straps with locking SR buckles for additional lash points
- Air channel and lumbar support on rear-panel for all-day comfort
- Ergonomic zipper pulls are easily gripped with gloves or frozen fingers
- Highest quality YKK zippers, 420D Velocity and 420D high-density nylon for long lasting durability and strength
- Front stuff pockets for trail essentials, e.g., headlamp, gloves, chargers
- Adjustable dividers for large telephoto lenses, traditional photo gear, or personal items
- Top zippered pocket for quick access essentials
- Interior mesh pockets for storing filters, batteries, cables, etc.
- Seam-sealed rain cover included, folds flat for use as a ground cover
- Compatible with MindShift’s Tripod Suspension Kit, Filter Nest, Filter Hive and Switch Case
Exterior: For superior water resistance, all exterior fabric has a durable water-repellant coating, plus the underside of the fabric has a polyurethane coating. Features the highest-quality abrasion-resistant YKK® RC-Fuse zippers, 420D velocity nylon, 420D high-density nylon, 320G UltraStretch mesh, 350G airmesh, nylon webbing, 3-ply bonded nylon thread
Interior: 210D silver-toned nylon lining, hexa-mesh pockets, high-density closed-cell foam, PE board reinforcement, 3-ply bonded nylon thread
- Exterior Dimensions: 10.6” W x 18.5” H x 7.1” D (27 x 47 x 18 cm)
- Interior Camera Compartment: 9.4” W x 16.7” H x 5.5” D (24 x 42.5 x 14 cm)
- Laptop Pocket: 8.9” W x 13.8” H x 0.8”D (22.5 x 35 x 2.1 cm)
- Tablet Pocket: 8.7” W x 10.2” H x 0.6” D (22 x 26 x 1.5 cm)
- Total Volume: 18L
- Weight: 3.5 lbs. (1.6 kg)